Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Caught The Kitchen On Fire.

And set off the smoke detectors two nights in a row.

I've been wanting to try my hand at homemade donuts for- oh, the last three years or so. I decided Sunday afternoon after the neighborhood "trick or treat" would be a fantastic time to figure it out. That way everyone could witness my baking shortcomings.  Nothing like trying a new recipe on your friends right?

The recipe was easy, and (I think) they turned out great.  I had some dough left over, and at the recipes suggestion, made cinnamon rolls.  Not so good. After having these cinnamon rolls, it's hard to find anything that compares.

Wanting to get good use out of my pan full of vegetable oil, I decided to make homemade french fries to go with the pork tenderloin we were having for dinner Monday night.

Oil splashed down side of pan will burst into flames on a flat top stove.

The smoke detectors will go off.

All ten of them. For a good fifteen minutes.

Two good things came from it.
A. A lesson on kitchen fire safety.
B. Delicious fries.

William has decided that I am a good enough cook to open a restaurant. He's identified a vacant property, and decided I will do all the cooking with help from Elizabeth and Isabelle.  He's going to be the commercial guy.  And the guy that runs the "red fuzzy rope thing" outside the door. After much debate, he's decided "Mama's Kitchen" will be the name.

Tuesday night, I was frying up some bacon ends when the the smoke detectors went off. All four of the kids came into the kitchen one by one and casually asked if I had caught the kitchen on fire. again.

Nothing exciting happened in the kitchen tonight. Unless you think someone turning off the oven. Instead of dinner being ready at 6:30, we ate at 8:45.  Good times.

0 to leave a comment, click HERE: