Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm not a cat person.

Or dog person for that matter. But let me tell you about our cats. About 3 summers ago Ryan brought home a kitten he found on the edge of the road. The kids were DELIGHTED. I know my eyes were as big as saucers when I said: "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" (He had the same expression when I brought Dixie home...different story, different time, but now, we are EVEN). Instead of turning into a barn cat (God does not answer ALL prayers), "CeCe" stayed right by the house. After giving us all ring-worm, and blessing us with several litters of kittens, she has since disappeared, leaving us with two of her FEMALE off-spring, Chloe and Callie. Chloe and Callie, like their mother, do not wander far from the house. Sad to say. And they, themselves have both blessed us with 4 litters of kittens. EACH. One of them actually snuck in the back room and had her babies under my craft table. They each in turn have moved their babies in and out of the back room. Several times. The spring litters they had got all mixed up in a move, and both Callie and Chloe fed all of them. We lovingly called them our Fundamentalist Latter Day Cats. The kids are always so very excited when we find a new litter. So far, 2 litters every 6 months. Unfortunately, the reproduction rate far exceeds the mortality rate. We have 3 of the 8 kittens left from the spring batch, 4 of them were taken out on one trip to town. One has a cast. Trying to hitch a ride in the car. And then I had the awful dilemma of when you drive back by do you avoid or run over it again to put it out of it's misery?? I was (in)humane, and avoided, and wouldn't you know, it showed up 3 days later with a broken leg. So, 2 Popsicle sticks and some tape later...that cat is bouncing around like nothing happened.. ANYWAY, here are photos of the latest litter. I always take pictures to put in Ryan's farming scrapbook. The cat photos are his favorite...hee hee.

Callie moved these under one of our cars. Elle put them in the box to save them from me...


Bea thinks they are Fabulous. I just think she's cute holding them...

Somehow everything on this farm reproduces like rabbits, except for well, the rabbits...

1 to leave a comment, click HERE:

islandgirl said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't have very good luck with my rabbits reproducing either. That is not such a pleasant memory for me, so I won't disgrace your blog with it! Bea is very cute with the kitty!