Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Breakfast

On Christmas Day, I prefer to stay in bed until noon, take a long relaxing shower, have a cup of coffee, and then open the diamonds Santa brought me. That's what I prefer. This is what happens: the kids wake up at the crack of dawn, we send them back to bed, they get up again, and Ryan says: "do you want to watch these kids open their gifts?" to which I reply: "No. I know what they are getting, I just saw them like 3 hours ago when I was wrapping them". And then he tells me he does not know how to use the camera, and maternal guilt takes over. I'm doing so many other things wrong, I don't need these kids to say: "You NEVER took any photos of us at CHRISTMAS???" And since I get drug out of bed against my will, and have yet to receive a big fat diamond from Santa, the last thing I'm gonna' do is COOK.

I have our Christmas breakfast ready to pop in the oven!




Breakfast Casserole

1 pound sausage, bacon or ham ( I use sausage)

1 cup grated cheddar cheese ( I used more. alot more)

4 slices white bread ( I use wheat)

6 eggs ( I use 8)

salt & pepper

1 teaspoon dry mustard (I used wet)

2 cups milk ( I used 1 1/2 cups)

Fry sausage into crumbles, drain well. Break 2 slices of bread into small pieces and place in greased 12x8x2 inch casserole dish. Put half the sausage over the bread, then add half the cheese, Repeat layers of bread, sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, salt, pepper, mustard and milk. Pour over casserole ingredients. Refrigerate overnight, bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

I never layer it like they say. I don't have the time. My layers: bread. sausage. cheese. eggs.

It's a winner!




Blueberry Coffee Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups blueberries
Mix sugar, shortening and egg. Stir in milk and dry ingredients alternately. Blend in blueberries. Put in greased 9x13 pan.
Topping:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup soft margarine
Combine ingredients and sprinkle on batter. Bake at 350 degrees about 50 minutes.

A piece is missing...not because I couldn't remember if I put in the baking powder... it's missing because I was hungry.
As for the rest of the day... every man for himself!

2 to leave a comment, click HERE:

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Can I have breakfast with you guys? Kyle still has a bad memory involving too much fun on Christmas Eve followed by under-cooked egg casserole at my moms' a few hours later. The thought of it makes him queasy. Not me...I got over it! (And love the stuff!)

This post made me laugh!

Connie Jahnke Long said... Best Blogger Tips

I make the breakfast casserole also except I use ham. I have to make two of them because Mom and Ken come down Christmas morning and have breakfast with us. And of course there has to be enough left to have left overs. Yummy!