Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's Not a Bribe, It's a REWARD.

We started a new incentive program here at our house.  I would like to tell you that I brainstormed for hours and came up with it all myself, but then I would be a liar.  But I can tell you that it is working like a charm!


I made several list, the first one names "Daily Responsibilities".  (clean room, all personal items in their place, feed the dogs, etc.)  When these things are accomplished, Elizabeth, William and Isabelle earn 1 penny.

The second one is a list of jobs they can do to earn additional pennies.  (take out the trash, sweep, good grades)  They can only earn these pennies if their daily responsibilities are finished.

The third list is a few of the ways they lose pennies.  (being disrespectful, talking back, being unkind to each other)





They each decorated a jar to keep their pennies in, 


and made a box for the items they are allowed to purchase.



We only get the "Prize Box" out once a week, on Friday or Saturday.  I comb the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart, Dollar General, I even picked up a few things at the Thrift Store last week.  They  also can  purchase coupons for bowling, movie rentals, McDonalds, and the "take a shower in Mom & Dads shower" voucher has been the most popular!  I have items priced from 1 penny to 400 pennies.

William spends pretty much all his pennies every week, although he has made an "advance" on a larger item he would like.  Elizabeth is saving hers.... she's not sure for what yet.  And poor Isabelle.  She has the least amount of pennies.  I need to think of some more ways for her to earn them.

Elizabeth and William both have lost pennies for bad behavior, but Ryan and I both can see measured improvement!


(Ryan was shocked last week when he announced that he was going to take the trash out, and William jumped up and said: "No, Dad, I want to take the trash!")

5 to leave a comment, click HERE:

islandgirl said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank God, I'm not there....William would have competition for taking out the trash!

FROG PRINCESS said... Best Blogger Tips

how about giving izzbell (as lilly says) her own list that only she can choose from. like picking up all the dog toys (that would be a good one at our house not sure if you are there yet!, putting the kids cups in the dish washer, putting a new trash bag in when william takes the trash out. things that are not too hard but again only she can do! just some thoughts! sounds like a great idea though!

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I like Tiffany's idea!

We have a "Whining Chart" at our house. Get too many checks and you get a time-out, can't watch TV, or lose your bunny for the night.

In a few years I may be putting your concept to work!

(The only problem I see...if they buy the toys...it's just more to pickup!)

:-)

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I like Tiffany's idea!

We have a "Whining Chart" at our house. Get too many checks and you get a time-out, can't watch TV, or lose your bunny for the night.

In a few years I may be putting your concept to work!

(The only problem I see...if they buy the toys...it's just more to pickup!)

:-)

Texas Cousin said... Best Blogger Tips

Take that dog stereo out of the prize box and give it to Elizabeth!!!!!!!!!!!!