Monday, March 21, 2011

Sticky Sweet Spring

I was talking to a friend of mine earlier this spring, and she was telling me that they were "tapping" their maple trees and boiling down the sap for real maple syrup.  After relaying the conversation to Ryan, he wondered how many maple trees we had in our yard.  Turns out, nine of our 13 trees are maple trees!  One of our employees helped Ryan tap the trees, and set up the buckets.




Ryan and the kids had a great time collecting the sap everyday, and taking it to get boiled down every few days.




The season was drying up last week so on Friday, the little people and I helped Ryan take every thing down.



With all the sap gathered from our trees, we've gotten about eleven gallons of syrup!  Half of the syrup goes to the people who boiled it down for us as payment, and the rest is all ours.  Not bad for getting started half way through the season!

And, boy is it good!!

3 to leave a comment, click HERE:

islandgirl said... Best Blogger Tips

11 gallons?! not bad!

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

That's great!! We go through so much syrup around here - I buy a 2 qt. jar every six weeks or so, and the stupid things costs me $18/pop. Way to go!

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa
I can buy it for $10-$12 a quart - you are getting a better deal! Although, my cousin in Houston pays almost $1. and OUNCE! ouch!