Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Are You A Giver?

Yesterday I ventured into one of my favorite down-town shops, "One World Handcrafts" to check out their after-Christmas sales. One World is a "fair trade" shop, they sell items made in under-developed countries. All the people who make the items are paid fairly. Hence, "Fair Trade". I love this little store. They have a great selection, and I have purchased many a gift from them. Makes me feel good that someone in need is benefiting.

While I was there, I discovered that they are collecting items for hygiene kits to send to the earthquake victims in Haiti. And that is when I had my most recent "Good Idea".

For every comment left on this post, I will donate one hygiene kit for a victim in Haiti.

And one, randomly drawn commenter will win this reindeer ornament. Made in Haiti, of course.




If you would like to do some giving on your own, here are a few great organizations to get you started:


Samaritan’s Purse- www.samaritanspurse.org
o Mennonite USA- www.mcc.org
o Church of the Brethren- www.brethren.org
o Red Cross- www.redcross.org
o Salvation Army- www.salvationarmyusa.org
o Church World Service- www.churchworldservice.org
o AmeriCares- www.americares.org
o Catholic Charities- www.catholiccharitiesusa.org
o Christian Reformed Church- www.crcna.org
o Convoy of Hope- www.convoyofhope.org
o International Relief & Development- www.ird-dc.org
o Operation Blessings- http://community.ob.org/
o Presbyterian Disaster Assistance- www.pcusa.org
o United Way Worldwide – www.liveunited.org
o UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief)- www.new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor

7 to leave a comment, click HERE:

islandgirl said... Best Blogger Tips

May I also suggest Architecture for Humanity
http://architectureforhumanity.org/
and We Can Build an Orphanage
https://wecanbuildanorphanage.com/

I know the founder of the orphanage and it has been completely destroyed. All the orphans survived but they are living in the street now. I know a close friend of the founder of Architecture for Humanity and all donations will be wisely spent.

Thanks

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

John Leigh Stewart will be collecting donations to the Red Cross instead of gifts for his tenth birthday party! He already has a couple of donations. P.S. Pick me for the reindeer ornament. P.P.S. I love that store too! Were the nativity sets on sale?

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

We WERE thinking alike!!

FROG PRINCESS said... Best Blogger Tips

GO SARAH!

Kimberly and Elizabeth said... Best Blogger Tips

FABULOUS idea my altruistic friend!

peace & love...e~

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Kathie Sites said... Best Blogger Tips

I am donating some of these item at our school. great project!!!!