Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wiener Sandwiches

The other day I made vegetable beef soup. We had it on a rainy, cold day with crusty, warm sourdough bread.


It made me remember when I was younger and we would visit my grandparents for the weekend. Grandma made 3 meals than I can remember.
Ever.
Oh, they had other food. Food that I liked. Potato salad, pasta salad, coleslaw. Things you can get in your grocers deli. Cold cereal. I love cold cereal. And potato chips. With dip. Cheese. All kinds. Sliced from the deli. Grandpa was usually good for a bucket of KFC. Livers & gizzards included.
Anyway, the three meals she made: "Chicken Pot Pie" with mashed potatoes, bologna sandwiches with Hellman's mayonnaise on wonder bread, and vegetable beef soup. And when we had vegetable soup, she always asked us if we wanted a "wiener sandwich". I remember being totally mortified when she asked me in front of my boyfriend....

2 to leave a comment, click HERE:

Kimberly and Elizabeth said... Best Blogger Tips

OH Shark...I can't imagine you ever being mortified, even by a "wiener sandwich"!

Guppy

islandgirl said... Best Blogger Tips

I love that story! My dad and I used to remember it everytime we would pass the hotdog stand at Cost-u-less. Everytime one of us would ask the other if they wanted a weiner sandwich!