Friday, March 21, 2014

The Long Winter

March 12, 2014



Here in Indiana we are having an extended winter.

I'm sure you've heard.
Unless you live under a rock. Or a snow bank. Seems like the weather is the hottest topic of conversation around here.




Not only did we have an additional week of Christmas break due to weather related issues, we've had multiple closings and delays since then. Yes, it has added a few days of school to the end of the year, shortened spring break a day, had two Saturday schools, and we are adding an hour to the school day for a week or more depending on what kid you are. I'm not complaining.
Not doing it.



I usually cannot wait for winter to be over.  I love summer. Warm weather in general is my favorite. Winter comes with so much stuff. Coats, hats, gloves. Oh my the gloves. Drives me crazy looking for gloves. And boots that match. But I'm not complaining. Not this year.


*For the most part* I've enjoyed our snow days. I put a pot of soup on the stove and let the kids help themselves. I read a Young Adult Science Fiction series. I put clean pajama pants on after my shower. The kids played nicely. (mostly) When I needed a break from the little people, I got in the plow truck or tractor and spent some time with my husband. We also left them home a couple of times and went into town for dinner for some conversation with other adults. Not complaining about that!

The snow and freezing temperatures sure had an impact on my running plans as well, but I'm positive I'll be back training for my mini marathon like a crazy person soon. I have my running clothes on now.



I've been thinking about this long winter the last couple of days, and you know what? With all that bitter cold and snow, there were a lot of good things too.

1. Despite William getting the flu on Sunday, our family as a whole has had the healthiest winter in years. I may have just jinxed myself, but for now, I'm thankful.

2. We got enough snow and in such regular intervals, that the dirty, nasty, dead, yucky brown was covered by a beautiful, sparkly, white blanket. And when the snow got dirty, it snowed again. My favorite was when it would come down in those big, fat snowflakes that fall so slowly you wonder if they are going to change their minds. The prettiest winter we've had in years.

3. My sump pump never had an opportunity to stop working. (Can I get an AMEN?)   It stayed cold. All. Winter. Long. I hate the whole "snow*melt*mud*rain*freeze*snow*melt*mud*rain*freeze* routine.

4. Not a single fly in my house all winter. And that, is a BIG deal. I'm really hoping that the cold temps also impact the summer pest situation as well.

5. Thanks to my hard-working husband, our house has been a cozy 74+ degrees all winter long. Not a single person has complained about cutting/stacking wood!

6. Spring is coming.

For behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. Song of Solomon 2:11&12

1 to leave a comment, click HERE:

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Valid points! I, too, commented on the "white" winter we've had. Absolutely NO brown, grimy roads.

74˚…I wish! We keep ours at 67˚…I'm SO READY to be warm again!